Het is nu di maart 19, 2024 5:30 am

Forum gesloten Dit onderwerp is gesloten, je kunt geen berichten wijzigen of nieuwe antwoorden plaatsen  [ 293 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina Vorige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Volgende
Overleden veteranen 
Auteur Bericht
Egbert

Bericht 
De bekende Robert M. "Bob" Murphy, A Company, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, is gisteren middag om 5:25 Amerikaanse tijd overleden. Ik heb de laatste jaren veel correspondentie met hem gevoerd. Hij was één van mijn reisdoelen toen ik afgelopen zomer naar de USA ging. Helaas was de situatie zo kritiek dat hij niet aanwezig was bij de reünie.

Afbeelding
Hier een foto van Bob Murphy (L) met Bill Sullivan, een andere veteraan van de 505.

Een icoon is heengegaan. Velen van jullie hebben hem waarschijnlijk wel eens gezien tijdens de herdenkingen in Ste. Mere Eglise. Hij was zeer geliefd onder zijn mede-veteranen. De afgelopen reünie van de 505 werd er diverse malen "gedronken" op Bob Murphy. Hij was niet aanwezig, maar zijn "spirit" was er zeker volgens de veteranen.

za okt 04, 2008 10:22 am
Profiel
Reinout
Bericht 
RIP !
Heel aangenaam en minzaam persoon, Bob Murphy !

za okt 04, 2008 12:00 pm
Johan WILLAERT
Bericht 
Bob tijdens z'n laatste trip naar Normandië in Juni laatstleden.

Afbeelding

za okt 04, 2008 1:00 pm
muncio
Bericht 
Rust zacht!
Doet elke keer weer zeer als er één heengaat :cry:

wo okt 08, 2008 1:11 pm
sky
Bericht 
Godspeed

wo okt 08, 2008 2:48 pm
Staf
Kevin

Bericht 
Last survivor of battle cruiser HMS Hood in the Second World War has died at the age of 85

Last updated at 7:53 AM on 06th October 2008

The last survivor of the sinking of the battle cruiser HMS Hood in the Second World War has died. Ted Briggs, 85, from Fareham in Hampshire, passed away at the Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth on Saturday.

The sinking of the Hood on May 24, 1941 by the German battleship Bismarck during the Battle of the Denmark Strait shocked Britain. The Bismarck's fire hit the ship's magazine, resulting in a catastrophic explosion which tore the ship in half. It sank in less than three minutes and only three of HMS Hood's 1,418 crew survived.

Mr Briggs, a boy signalman aged 18, was sucked under by the sinking ship before being propelled back up to the surface. He was soon joined by the two other survivors - midshipman William Dundass, who died in 1965, and able seaman Bob Tilburn, who died in 1995.

The trio spent three hours in the freezing sea before they were picked up by a Navy ship.

Television producer Rob White, who knew Mr Briggs well, said: 'He was quite a gentleman and what really struck me was his great modesty. If you said, "you're a hero", he used to say, "I was not a hero, I was a survivor".'

Schrijver van:
* Oorlogszone Zoo
* De boodschapper uit de hel
* Een rechter in Auschwitz
* Het masker van de massamoordenaar
* Kerstmis onder vuur
* Kolberg

do okt 09, 2008 10:00 pm
Profiel WWW
ik ben Michiel
Bericht 
Moge hij rusten in vrede!

za okt 11, 2008 7:23 pm
Barry

Bericht 
Godspeed.

zo okt 12, 2008 3:35 am
Profiel
Staf
Kevin

Bericht 
Dieppe veteran Scharfe dies at age 86

Trevor Wilhelm, The Windsor Star
Published: Monday, October 13, 2008

A Windsor-born war veteran who lied about his age to go fight Hitler, then survived the disastrous raid on Dieppe only to spend the next three years in concentration camps, has died.

Harold Scharfe died Sept. 26 in California, where he moved 40 years ago, at the age of 86.

Despite moving his family to California, Scharfe was still involved in veteran affairs in Canada. He represented the Essex Scottish Regiment when he returned to France in 2006, with some of the few other Dieppe survivors, to dedicate a memorial there.

Dieppe Raid veteran Harold Scharfe died Sept. 26 in California, where he moved 40 years ago, at the age of 86.

Scharfe was a member of the Essex Scottish on Aug. 19, 1942 when he and 6,000 other soldiers stormed the beaches of Dieppe under heavy fire from German troops.

Of the 553 Essex Scottish soldiers to hit that beach, 105 were killed in action and 16 later succumbed to their injuries. Only 52 escaped the bloodbath aboard rescue vessels that took them back to England. The rest were marched off to German prison camps, where they lived in deplorable conditions until the end of the war.

"I spent 13 months in chains and I marched all the way across Germany in a death march," he told The Star in the early 1990s. "Let me say I don't have the greatest memories of Dieppe."

Scharfe kept a war log during his time as a prisoner of war. In it, he described how he bribed German guards with cigarettes and shaved with hot tea because there was no running water.

Scharfe often returned to Windsor over the years to mark Dieppe anniversaries and other military milestones.

He was a 17-year-old student at Patterson Collegiate when he lied about his age and enlisted, eager to help stop Hitler's advance into Europe.

"I would come home every day and change into civilian clothes for dinner, pretending I was still in high school," he once told The Star. It worked until a family friend saw him on parade on Ouellette Avenue. But his family couldn't talk him out of heading off to war.

He shipped overseas in 1940 for commando training. A year later, he was asked to be part of the Dieppe raid.

He called it "the biggest disaster of the war," but still believed it made a difference because it taught the Allies valuable military lessons that helped make the D-Day invasion a success.

"Freedom is not free," he told The Star in 2006. "Someone had to pay for it and we all need to remember that."

Schrijver van:
* Oorlogszone Zoo
* Kerstmis onder vuur
* Kolberg

di okt 14, 2008 5:50 pm
Profiel WWW
Staf
Kevin

Bericht 
The Gazette Montreal schreef:
Charley Fox, Spitfire pilot who who wounded Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, dies

Canwest News Service
Published: Monday, October 20

The Canadian Spitfire pilot often credited with seriously wounding storied German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel in a strafing attack in the critical weeks after D-Day, has died. Charley Fox was 88.

The much decorated flyer from London, Ont., was killed in a weekend automobile crash near Tillsonburg, Ont.

It took years before Fox was cited for the attack on Rommel - there were counterclaims by the Americans that one of their aircraft was responsible. As well, a South African pilot is also thought to have carried out the attack.

Rommel was Germany's leading field commander during the Second World War, earning the nickname Desert Fox for his African campaign. He had been summoned to France to prepare for the expected Allied invasion.

The strafing effectively ended Rommel's career. While still recovering from severe head injuries suffered in the incident, he was implicated in a plot to overthrow Adolf Hitler and committed suicide in October of 1944.

Although falsely accused, Rommel was convinced Germany would lose the war and historians now believe he wanted to secretly make peace with the Allies.

How history might have unfolded had Rommel not been incapacitated by the Spitfire remains one of the great "what ifs" of the history.

"He was badly, badly hurt," Fox said in a 2004 interview. "I end up thinking, 'What if I hadn't been airborne at the time? What if I hadn't shot him up? Would that have changed the war? Or would it have lengthened it?' "

On July 17, 1944, Fox and his squadron left their airfield at Bernières-sur-Mer in Normandy.

"As soon as we got airborne ... we started heading toward Caen and we split up into three sections of four, and we were to look for 'targets of opportunity' -- anything that was moving. It was the other side of Caen, and I saw this staff car coming along between a line of trees on a main road," Fox said.

"I made no motion until it was just about nine o'clock, and I did a diving, curving attack down and I probably started firing at about 300 yards. I saw hits on it and I saw it start to curve and go off the road - and by then I'm on my way."

The July 17 entry in his own wartime log book records "staff car damaged."

At the end of the entry, Fox had written: "Rommel - Yes."

A U.S. aircrew initially claimed to have fired on Rommel's car. Other accounts say South African pilot J.J. Le Roux carried out the strike.

But a Quebec historian researching the controversy at Library and Archives Canada says the official operational record book of Fox's unit, 412 Squadron, puts him in the air at the right time and place to have taken out Rommel.

"This is the official account from the time, usually filled out by a clerk with the squadron, recording when planes took off and came back. It's very precise, very exact." "said Michel Lavigne.

Fox had a standout record as an airman. He ended the war with credit for nine enemy aircraft and 153 vehicles and locomotives destroyed or damaged, according to a 412 Squadron description of his exploits.

He was also awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and bar - equivalent to a second DFC - for "exceptional courage and skill."

Fox ended his tour of duty in January 1945 and served in the 420 Reserve after the war. He retired in 1956 and began to work at a shoe factory, from which he retired in 1998. In April of 2004, he was named honorary colonel of 412 Squadron.

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2008

Schrijver van:
* Oorlogszone Zoo
* Kerstmis onder vuur
* Kolberg

wo okt 22, 2008 5:25 pm
Profiel WWW
Staf
Kevin

Bericht 
Last Medal of Honor recipient in Columbus died Sunday

BY LILY GORDON

Retired Col. Robert B. Nett, the last of five Medal of Honor recipients who resided in Columbus, died Sunday. He was 86.

Nett enlisted in the Connecticut National Guard in 1940 and graduated from Officer Candidate School in 1942. His distinguished career included service in World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam.

Nett earned the nation's highest military award for valor on Dec. 14, 1944, for heroic actions during hand-to-hand fighting with Japanese soldiers at their heavily fortified stronghold on the west coast of Leyte near Cognon in the Philippines. The commander of E Company, 305th Infantry Regiment, 77th Infantry Division, Nett spearheaded the assault, killing seven Japanese soldiers with his rifle and bayonet. Though he was seriously wounded three times during the attack, he was later able to rejoin his company and participate in the Okinawa campaign.

"He was the greatest patriot that ever lived in Columbus, Ga.," said Nett's long-time friend Jim Rhodes.

Retired U.S. Army Col. Ralph Puckett, considered one of the founders of the modern Rangers, said the inclusion of Nett's name on the Ranger Memorial located near Infantry Hall at Fort Benning and his membership in the Army Ranger Hall of Fame elevated the prestige of the battalion.

"We've lost a real American hero," he said.

Read further

Schrijver van:
* Oorlogszone Zoo
* Kerstmis onder vuur
* Kolberg

wo okt 22, 2008 5:28 pm
Profiel WWW
Dennis N
Bericht 
In memoriam: Richard C. Haine

Op 1 november 2008 kregen we per brief uit Engeland het droevige bericht dat in zijn woonplaats te Ipswich op 30 september 2008 overleden is:

Richard Cummins Haine, DFC OBE, rtd. group captain RAF

Richard Haine had een lange carrière in de Engelse luchtmacht (de Royal Air Force) waar hij voor zijn verdiensten tijdens en na de Tweede Wereldoorlog onderscheidingen kreeg en geridderd is. Hij had (samen met zijn staartschutter Kramer) op 10 mei 1940 de onbestemde ‘eer’ het allereerste Engelse vliegtuig te zijn dat op ons eiland (Goeree-Overflakkee) neerstortte als gevolg van de die dag begonnen oorlogshandelingen. Veel oudere inwoners herinneren zich dit toestel op de slikken nabij Herkingen nog als gisteren. Beide piloten overleefden deze noodlanding en keerden terug naar Engeland.
Ons onderzoek in het voorjaar van 2008 wees uit dat Richard nog in leven moest zijn. Kort daarop hebben we inderdaad contact kunnen leggen en een briefuitwisseling met deze veteraan ontstond. Richard heeft enkele weken voor zijn onverwacht overlijden de van zijn toestel gemaakte aquarellen nog zelf gesigneerd. Nu een nog trotser bezit van onze stichting. De geschiedenis van Richard Haine op en na die 10e mei is uitgebreid weergegeven op onze website.

Richard is overleden de dag voordat hij 93 jaar oud zou worden. Onze gedachten gaan uit naar zijn vrouw Evelyn, de familie en vrienden. We wensen ze alle sterkte toe bij het verwerken van dit verlies.

Lest we forget

zo nov 02, 2008 3:32 pm
muncio
Bericht 
Respectabele leeftijd deze Richard Haine
Rest in peace
Godspeed!!!

Thanks

wo nov 05, 2008 2:44 pm
sky
Bericht 
godspeed en mooie laatste vlucht naar de eeuwige jachtvelden

wo nov 05, 2008 3:22 pm
Jochen S.
Bericht + Otto Fischer
:!:

do nov 20, 2008 1:26 pm
Forum gesloten Dit onderwerp is gesloten, je kunt geen berichten wijzigen of nieuwe antwoorden plaatsen  [ 293 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina Vorige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Volgende