Het is nu vr maart 29, 2024 2:11 am

Forum gesloten Dit onderwerp is gesloten, je kunt geen berichten wijzigen of nieuwe antwoorden plaatsen  [ 6 berichten ] 
Hulp gevraagd R.A Shurter jr. US Para Market Garden 
Auteur Bericht
Wilco_Vermeer

Bericht Hulp gevraagd R.A Shurter jr. US Para Market Garden
Voor acties rond Nijmegen in september/oktober 1944 heeft Robert Allison Shurter Jr. ( http://www.ww2awards.com/person/34459 ) op 22 februari 1946 het Nederlandse Bronzen Kruis ontvangen.
Als één van de oorspronkelijke leden van Company D, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division zitten er wat discrepanties in het verhaal. Voor de familie probeer ik duidelijkheid te krijgen.

Het probleem is dat volgens de Bronzen Kruis gegevens hij de onderscheiding toegekend kreeg voor acties met de 82nd Airborne Division. Hetzij de gegevens van het BK bevatten een onjuistheid, of hij is om de één of andere reden tijdens Market Garden bij de 82nd Airborne terechtgekomen (wat niet ondenkbaar is).

De goede man zelf is overleden en de familie kan uit overlevering alleen het volgende melden:

Shurter maakte tijdens Wo2 twee operationele jumps, in Normandië (D-Day) en Nederland (Market Garden). bij één van zijn jumps kwam hij achter vijandelijke linies (waren ze uiteraard allemaal) terecht, echter op een plek die niet de juiste was (wellicht rond Nijmegen ipv Eindhoven?) en werd ondergebracht in een 'safe house' (door het verzet??). Hier werd hij samen met een andere para drie dagen in de kelder verstopt voordat men hem bij eigen troepen kon afleveren. De betreffende jump was waarschijnlijk niet in Normandië omdat zijn activiteiten daar redelijk goed zijn gedocumenteerd. Dit moet derhalve Nederland geweest zijn.
De familie waar hij was ondergebracht heeft hem zo goed verzorgd, dat hij na de oorlog (de vrouw des huizes was zwanger tijdens zijn verblijf) nog babykleertjes naar de familie heeft gestuurd.

Voor de familie ben ik op zoek naar alle gegevens die duidelijkheid in deze geschiedenis kunnen brengen. Iedere hulp is welkom.

wo sep 26, 2012 9:21 am
Profiel WWW
Ries
Bericht Re: Hulp gevraagd R.A Shurter jr. US Para Market Garden
Ik neem aan, Wilco, dat je deze site al kent:

http://triggertimeforum.yuku.com/topic/ ... mpany-WWII

Er staat een foto van de man op:

Afbeelding

En zelfs zijn handtekening, de bovenste, is er te vinden:

Afbeelding

Mocht je beide plaatjes kennen, dan heeft je zoektocht in dit topic in ieder geval een gezicht gekregen.

wo sep 26, 2012 10:59 am
Wilco_Vermeer

Bedankt Ries, de discussie daar ken ik inderdaad, daar is het familielid bij betrokken waarvoor we hier ook bezig zijn.
In die discussie wordt vooral het Normandy verhaal mooi uitgewerkt.
Maar zeker bedankt voor het aanvullen.

do sep 27, 2012 11:12 am
Profiel WWW
Ries
Dat dacht ik al, Wilco. Dat verhaal was je vast al tegengekomen.

In de link worden namen genoemd van militairen uit de naaste omgeving van Shurter. Wie weet kom je door hen na te trekken verder. Zomaar een idee.

do sep 27, 2012 12:37 pm
Wilco_Vermeer

Deels is dat al gedaan. Probleem hierbij is dat hij van zijn eenheid afgescheiden was bij Market Garden en die mensen niet.

do sep 27, 2012 1:16 pm
Profiel WWW
Wilco_Vermeer

Voor de mensen hier even samengevat de geschiedenis van Shurter zoals deze nu bekend is.

Zoals aangegeven diende hij bij Company D, 506th Parachute Regiment. Hier was hij aanvankelijk de 2nd Sergeant. Omdat 1st Sergeant Jay Corbin later wegens 'lafheid' uit zijn functie werd ontheven, werd Shurter de 1st Sergeant na Market Garden.

Hij landde tijdens D-Day met Stick No. 61 ten Noordoosten van Ravenoville.
Twee krantenartikelen met intervieuw geven een beeld van de gebeurtenissen:

Citaat:
Big Spring Herald, Big Spring, Texas, Thursday, September 28, 1944, page 3.

Sergeant Relates Havoc Caused by Paratroops During Invasion

HEADQUARTERS 101st AIRBORNE DIVISION… It was quiet at his rest camp. Staff Sgt. Robert A Shurter sat back against the side of a Nissen hut, chewed on a straw and told of the havoc Paratroop Infantry raised behind the German lines, hours before seaborne assault forces stormed onto the Normandy beaches.

Slowly he recalled the events of those first days of the invasion, when his company captured Carentan. He was back to normal army condition now. The noise and the hell were far away. He could chew on his straw and talk.

“Our company jumped at 1:17 a.m., five hours before the actual invasion stared,” he began, “We landed six and a half miles northeast of St. Mere Eglise. We all knew our mission. Roads leading to the beach had to be cleared of known machine gun nests, pill boxes, and 88’s and we had to secure the high ground in the area to cover the seaborn infantry”

Some of the paratroopers had as many as 18 jumps before the invasion, the sergeant said “But that jump felt as if it was my first. It wasn’t a feeling of fright, I just said to myself, “this is no maneuver, chum; it’s the real thing.”

After the landing about 70 men of the original company assembled. The others had either been killed or had landed too far from the target.

“I was Operational Sergeant on the mission, and upon assembling, I divided the others into small groups” Sgt. Shurter said. “We were all to head for St. Mere du Mond to protect the divisional command post. My group ran into 150 German parachutists. We were badly outnumbered, but after desperate fighting, we captured the remaining ones.”

After Sgt Shurter's group marched for two days and nights without sleep they came to a few deserted houses where they ate and rested. A few hours later they were called upon to join the paratroopers of the First Battalion to clear out snipers, machine gunners, and paratroopers.

Near the crossroads at Beaumont the whole regiment assembled. The regimental commander and his officers decided that Company D would lead the regiment on the road to Carentan. Of course that had to be my luck smiled Sgt Shurter, “company D was my company. Five tanks were assigned to us. We placed two in front, two in the center, and one in the rear of our column.

Next morning regimental officers held a meeting. All objectives had been taken and the mission completed. Roads had been cleared for the ground forces, They were on the outskirts of Carentan.

“ We were on the high ground outside the city. While we sat around and made plans for the attack, an ‘88’ burst in the middle of our group. I don't know how I escaped that shrapnel. My company commander was killed on the spot. My first sergeant didn’t move. He sat there stone dead. I went down the road and informed Lieutenant Joe E Miller that he was now commander of company D. We took Carentan, cleaned out the snipers and machine gunners. We spent a few days laying mines around the city, dug foxholes, and erected barbed wire fences. We later went to Cherbourg for a few days and then to rest camp.

In those few words Shurter summed up the action at Carentan. Casually he added that his unit received the Presidential Citation for heroism. He continued to chew his bit of straw.

Citaat:
Wilmington Delaware Sunday Star on Sept. 24, 1944 (page 5).

“I’ll never forget ‘Hell’s Corners’, a later engagement,” he continued. “Our agreement was to throw up a flare at the cross roads before Carentan. The whole division was to meet there. As we approached the corner, flares did go up, but they were not from our side: Jerry had evidently been informed of the plans. What a reception we got. They came from all sides and everywhere. Hell broke loose. Jerries kept coming out of holes, and we kept hot lead going. It was a great party, but it didn’t last too long. We noticed that most of the enemy were not actually Germans, most of them were Poles, Russians and Mongolians. They were fighting well but we soon had them surrendering to us. I can’t understand that reception. They seemed to be waiting for us. As our tanks approached they had bazookas zeroed in. They also had tank blocks erected to stop us at the corners.”

Next morning, regimental officers held a meeting. All objectives had been taken, and the mission completed. Roads had been cleared for the ground forces. They were on the outskirts of Carentan.

‘88’ Falls On Group

We were on the high ground outside the city. While we sat around and made plans for the attack, an ‘88’ burst in the middle of our group. I don’t know how I escaped that shrapnel. My company commander was killed on the spot. My first sergeant didn’t move. He sat there stone dead. I went down the road and informed Lt. Joe E. Miller that he was now commander of company “D”.

Lt. Miller and Sgt. Shurter took a platoon out on the outskirts of the town. Jerry machine gun fire pinned the platoon down. “I thought that this would be the finishing touch for me; they were really zeroed in. Lt. Miller and I couldn’t move, but we had a bit of luck. An Allied plane had dropped one of its extra gasoline tanks. I guess the Jerries thought that it was a bomb. As I looked up, I too thought that it was a bomb. That falling tank must have scared them off.

“We took Carentan, cleaned out the snipers and machine gunner. We spent a few days laying mines around the city, dug foxholes and erected barbed wire fences.”

Tijdens de slag om de Ardennen is bekend dat ze in het bos bij Foy lagen en hij als 1/Sgt de Company HQ schuttersput deelde met Capt. Joe McMillan, our company commander, 1Lt. John Kelly , Sgt. Allen Westphal, en comunications Sgt Hugh Pritchard.

De link die Ries heeft gegeven, geeft een beeld van de discussie over deze gegevens.

do sep 27, 2012 1:32 pm
Profiel WWW
Forum gesloten Dit onderwerp is gesloten, je kunt geen berichten wijzigen of nieuwe antwoorden plaatsen  [ 6 berichten ]