Het is nu vr apr 19, 2024 12:33 pm

Forum gesloten Dit onderwerp is gesloten, je kunt geen berichten wijzigen of nieuwe antwoorden plaatsen  [ 119 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina Vorige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Volgende
25 mei Memorial Day, Margraten 
Auteur Bericht
Thijs VDL
Bericht 
Oke , leuke beschrijving :lol: !

za mei 24, 2008 5:39 pm
John S.
Bericht 
Dennis N schreef:
Pieter F schreef:
2 meter?! :shock: :wink:

Breed.... :mrgreen:

Haha, nee hoor. Dennis weet wel beter.
Hou het maar op 2 meter in de lengte :D
Ik ben samen met Skywalker. Die is niet zo lang ,maar wel bewapend met allerlei foto-apparatuur.
Wij zijn er om 11.15 uur !!
Maurice is ook niet de kleinste dus samen met dat 502-shirt moet het wel lukken om 'm te herkennen.

za mei 24, 2008 7:12 pm
Ronald S
Bericht 
Het was heel erg druk vandaag. Heb de eerste veteranen ontmoet en nieuwe vrienden gemaakt. Er was een dochter van iemand die er begraven ligt. Ze was 2 toen haar vader gedood werd. Drie weken later zou de oorlog over zijn.

Ik kreeg kippenvel van het verhaal.

Vandaag wdereom de 101st Airborne Vlaggen gezet. Vele mensen spraken me aan en waren dol enthousiast.

Een bijzondere dag

Groet

Ronald

za mei 24, 2008 7:30 pm
Maurice1976
Bericht 
Ronald,

Het was inderdaad indrukwekkend, ik heb helaas niet hele verhaal gehoord van de dochter maar wel het stuk dat zij vertelde over hoe het voor haar moeder was... inderdaad kippevel.

Ik vond het trouwens super dat ik bij mijn adoptiegraf, Robert E Doran, door jou in de gelegenheid werd gesteld om het airbornevlagje zelf te plaatsen, bedankt hiervoor.

Maurice

za mei 24, 2008 9:19 pm
T(h)ijs
Bericht 
strike schreef:
Ieder jaar doen twee straaljagers van het Amerikaanse en 2 straaljagers van het Nederlandse leger inderdaad de missing man formation aan het einde van de ceremonie.

Vorig jaar deden 4 F16's van Volkel en daarna 4 F15's van Lakenheath een missing man. Ik had begrepen dat er dit jaar alleen F16's van Volkel en een US C-130 overvlogen, maar we zullen het zien.

za mei 24, 2008 10:30 pm
Maurice1976
Bericht 
Cathaleine; check je PM als je nog tijd hebt

za mei 24, 2008 10:35 pm
Thijs VDL
Bericht 
Iemand enig idee op welk tijdstip die straaljagers over komen vliegen , dan kan ik ze nog ff vastleggen op camera ! 8)

za mei 24, 2008 10:36 pm
Maurice1976
Bericht 
15.00 begint te ceremonie, vorig duurde die +/- 1,5 uur, en op het einde van de ceremonie komen ze overvliegen.
Maar als je morgen daar bent moet je dat gewoon even navragen, er loopt vast iemand rond met een draaiboek.

za mei 24, 2008 11:06 pm
Thijs VDL
Bericht 
Zal ik zeker doen , bedankt voor de tip ! :D

za mei 24, 2008 11:08 pm
John S.
Bericht 
Hier een korte impressie van vandaag:

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Kennis gemaakt met enkele forum-leden. Leuk !
Jammer genoeg geen foto's van Maartje genomen, maar ik ga er van uit dat Sebastiaan die wel heeft :wink:

zo mei 25, 2008 3:15 pm
Barry

Bericht 
Mooie impressie, in Bastogne weinig meegekregen van Memorial Day. De "Amerikaanse-versie" is toch eigenlijk ook maandag?

Maartje van Weegen :?:.

zo mei 25, 2008 9:54 pm
Profiel
-Spitfire-
Bericht 
Ik moet je teleurstellen John, ik heb geen foto's van Maartje (Duin). :wink:

Ik begrijp dat je de ceremonie niet heb bijgewoond verder John? Dat is erg jammer, want je zat in de toespraak van minister Verhagen! Hij had het over William F. Davis en een foto met een dochter van je bij het graf en noemde ook jouw naam! :D

Foto's komen er later aan. :wink:

zo mei 25, 2008 9:58 pm
Roel R
Bericht 
Hier alvast een impressie vanuit de plek waar ik zat. Een uitnodiging enzo voor de voorste rijen is leuk. Maar je ziet vrij weinig. Je kunt beter achteraan op de tribune zitten.

Afbeelding

zo mei 25, 2008 10:59 pm
John S.
Bericht 
Hier is de tekst van de speech van Minister Verhagen.
Ik moet zeggen dat ik redelijk ontroerd was toen ik hem las.
Jullie begrijpen wel waarom....

Toespraak Verhagen bij dodenherdenking Margraten

Speech by Maxime Verhagen, Minister of Foreign Affairs, at the Memorial Service in Margraten, 25 May 2008

Ladies and gentlemen,

I stand here filled with great respect and gratitude, as we commemorate the American servicemen who gave their lives for our freedom. I know Margraten well – in fact I know it very well. When I was a boy, growing up in Maastricht, my father often brought us – his three young sons – to this place. My father was the son of a Buchenwald prisoner, who was forced to go into hiding himself during the War – so he knew first-hand what it felt like to live under oppression, without freedom, and in constant fear. When the Netherlands was liberated, he was eternally grateful. And he impressed his gratitude on his children. He taught us that liberty cannot be taken for granted. That it had been bitterly fought for. And that it had come at a great cost – with the loss of many young lives. To me, Margraten is a lesson about life. It symbolises the fact that good is stronger than evil, that what is wrong can be made right. By willpower, by devotion, by sacrifice. Who I am today is partly because of Margraten – and that is why I feel truly honoured to be speaking here today.

It was Ambassador Arnall who asked me to do so last year. He had made the same request a year before, and to my great regret, I wasn't able to comply then. I feel sad that today, I am keeping my promise to Ambassador Arnall, but that he cannot be here with us. My thoughts are with his widow Dawn and his children Daniel and Michelle.

Ladies and gentlemen,

History is not just for books, it must be kept alive. I am impressed that the Netherlands American Cemetery and Memorial is actively documenting the life stories of the soldiers who are buried here. They are doing this with the help of many others: next-of-kin, fellow servicemen, librarians and other officials, and also with those who have adopted the gravesites here at Margraten. These a dopters not only take care of the graves; in many cases they have also established close personal bonds with the next-of-kin of the fallen soldiers. There is a certain beauty in these relationships, which stretch out over years and over generations. The people who were liberated, honour their liberators by looking after their fallen.

I was particularly struck by one photograph I saw on the internet, while reading through soldiers’ life stories that have been collected there. It pictured the grave of Private William F. Davis, who died on 14 October 1944, aged 27. Next to his grave stands a little girl, maybe five or six years old. She is the daughter of the gravesite’s caretaker, Mr John Smeets. The girl touches the grave with both her hands, and looks into the camera, half-embracing the white cross. You can tell that it is a sunny day, [much like today]. The little girl is in short sleeves, the grass is as green as can be, and the flowers placed by the grave are radiant. The girl is squinting because of the bright sun. To me, this image is so powerful – it expresses more than words could ever say. Even though the photograph was taken at a cemetery, quite unexpectedly, it breathes life. This girl represents the next Dutch generation growing up in freedom. And this freedom was given to her, to her parents, to her grandparents, to all of us, by Private William F. Davis, and his fellow servicemen. He could have been the father of a girl just like her, had his life turned out differently. Instead, he came to Europe. He came to the Netherlands, to fight for our freedom. This photograph is living proof that he won that fight.

Ladies and gentlemen,

We should never forget our common past. But it is equally important that we do not forget our common future. It is our moral obligation to make sure that history does not repeat itself, that we continue the struggle for freedom in today’s world. To me, this means a world in which human rights are respected and promoted – a world in which all have equal rights, a world free of oppression and fear. Sixty-three years after our liberation, transatlantic cooperation is a firm and fundamental pillar of Dutch foreign policy. Strongly embedded in a united Europe, which has put right the historical injustices of the Second World War, we stand side by side with the United States of America. Together, we should strive to be a decisive force for good in the world. We share the same values, we share the same dreams. Today, we commemorate the loss of American lives in the quest for our freedom. Tomorrow, we continue that same quest for freedom, together.

Thank you and God bless you.

ma mei 26, 2008 7:51 am
Dennis N
Bericht 
Mooi John, heel mooi!

ma mei 26, 2008 8:19 am
Forum gesloten Dit onderwerp is gesloten, je kunt geen berichten wijzigen of nieuwe antwoorden plaatsen  [ 119 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina Vorige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Volgende